We knew Ducks were compassionate.
We knew Ducks were generous.
But we have been blown away by the way Ducks have flocked together to support students in crisis over the past few months. Thank you.
In addition to the 1,000+ donors who supported our Students in Crisis crowdfunding campaign, more than 200 Ducks made gifts to the Students in Crisis Fund through other means. Today, we’re adding those gifts to our digital donor wall, bringing our fundraising total to nearly $600,000. We hope all of you will join us tomorrow for #DucksGive 2020—a day-long, digital celebration of you and your incredible contributions to our university.
We’ve also heard back from some of the students who have received support from the Students in Crisis Fund already. They asked us to pass on their sincere thanks for the profound impact your generosity is having in their day-to-day lives, which we’re sharing—in their own words—here:
- “This fund really helped me in more ways than just monetary. The peace of mind that came with not having to spend another day worrying about my financial status was something that I will be forever grateful for and reminds me of why I am so proud to be a Duck…It is so wonderful to be surrounded (virtually) by a community that cares so deeply for one another.”
- “The money I received from the crisis fund covered a month of my rent, my utilities, and got me groceries…Now that I can keep my focus on school and stay enrolled, I am able to stay on track with my degree plan and graduate on time. So thank you so incredibly much to all the donors that made this possible.”
- “I am so happy that I was able to get the $400 we needed to cover our rent! That means me and my sister have a home while I finish this semester of law school. My sister's unemployment still has not come in and we haven't gotten the stimulus check either. If it wasn't for this $400, I do not know what we would have done. Thank you very much!”
- “Being able to have the Student in Crisis funds allowed me the support I needed to be able to afford living expenses that went towards rent, food, and textbooks. I'm very happy with how smooth the application process went and how quickly it was for me to receive this support.”
- “[Thanks to the Students in Crisis Fund], my wife and I were able to pay the April rent for our current apartment. There was a time in March when I legitimately did not know if it would be worth it to come back to the UO in fall of 2020, but now I am feeling much better about my decision to stay.”
- “My part-time salary as a GE has been our only household income over the past couple months, so the funds I received from the Students in Crisis Fund have been extremely helpful and deeply appreciated by both me and my partner! The months ahead are unpredictable and worrisome as my partner is still unable to work, but we are grateful to have received very fast assistance when the crisis was just beginning to unfold. Thank you so much for your generosity - it means so much!"